Thursday, August 11, 2011

Day 12: Cooley Glen Shelter to Appalachian Gap

Cooley Glen Shelter to Appalachian Gap - 17.1 miles

It's all about perspective.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Long day planned with the treat of ending the day in town was how I approached today. My hiking clothes were still soaking wet this morning from the previous evening of ridgeline hiking in a hail storm so I opted to hike out in my sleep clothes until my body temp was warm enough that I could handle putting on the wet clothes.

The temperature began at 50 degrees and barely got up to 60 during the day as we hiked between 3,000 to 4,000 ft in elevation. Mt Grant was in a cloud BUT by the time we reached Mt Abraham the clouds burned off and we had panoramic views of the Green Mtns, the Whites, Lake Champlain, and Canada! I even took my shoes off and let the sun warm my feet.   It was completely magical.
The section across Lincoln Mtn reminded me of the roller coaster at 4 times the elevation as I went up and down 5 different peaks including

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Stopped at Stark's nest for a quick refueling then headed down to Appalachian Gap, VT 17. Got a hitch from a former LT hiker to the Hyde Away Inn. It still amazes me how simple needs such as a hot shower, warm food, cold liquid carbohydrates, and clean clothes can quickly diminish the pain and discomforts of hiking all day in wet socks, putting on cold and wet clothes, sleeping and packing up a wet tent.

I find that hiking is 25% physical and 75% mental.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

How you gonna look at that glass?

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

No comments:

Post a Comment