Friday, August 26, 2011

From My Experience...My New Gear/Cell Service

My New Gear
I LOVED my ULA circuit. (http://www.ula-equipment.com/circuit.asp) I met two SOBO LT hikers carrying the same pack and they had nothing but good things to say as well. I began with 30 lbs on my back and the pack carried it very well. I could easily get to items on the side pouches as well as the front mesh pocket. Very durable and held up for all 279 miles.
My poles from gossamer gear (http://gossamergear.com/trekking/lt3c-trekking-poles.html), however, are a different story. The tips of each pole were completely bent by 220 miles. I love that they are lightweight but I’m not so sure what’s going on with the tips. I might be a little to hard on these types of poles.

Dirty Girl Gaiters (http://www.dirtygirlgaiters.com/) are a must if you are hiking in trail runners! I cannot stand getting mud, rocks, leaves, dirt, etc. in my shoes and these held up the whole way. I did not have any problems with the Velcro attached to the heel of my shoes even when I sank knee deep in mud. For $17 (which includes shipping) you can’t go wrong. I even washed them with my laundry and they came out clean. Very breathable and light. The only complaint is that you have to take your shoes on and off to remove the gaiters, which I can live with.

My Evernew Titanium Minimalist Set (http://www.antigravitygear.com/evernew-titanium-minimalist-set-eca268.html) did not let me down. I did not try the option of wood as fuel and just stuck with alcohol. Very simple, durable, and lightweight. It trapped the heat much longer than I expected keeping my dinner warm long after the fire went out (which was unfortunate for my tongue). The flames do encompass the pot so I had to use my pack towel to remove the pot so that I didn’t burn myself.

Cell Service
I have Verizon service and it was spotty at best. AT&T provided much better service. Please be aware that after Jay Peak heading north, cell phones, regardless of server, will ping off of Canadian towers, which could easily increase your monthly cell phone bill.

No comments:

Post a Comment