Monday, August 8, 2011

Day 9: Inn at the Long Trail to David Logon Shelter

 Inn at the Long Trail to David Logon Shelter - 12.7 miles

What a difference a day makes!

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Taking a zero yesterday was the best thing for my feet. Felt strong and energized throughout the hike today. I'm sure the absolutely beautiful weather had something to do with it as well. I'm finally on America's oldest long distance trail, but let me back up.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMugPhoto & Video Sharing by SmugMug

A hummingbird greeted us at breakfast this morning at the Inn. I've noticed that my appetite has increased lately after I polished off my tomato and cheddar omelet at breakfast and had two helpings of pasta for dinner tonight.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

A few more notable points of observation from today:
1. I tried to lead everyone down the wrong path from VT 4. Oops.
2. I was scared by a rather large toad today.
3. Montreal (LT hiker) saved my life from burning logs only after saving the register.
4. Coyotes were howling during dinner tonight near the shelter.
5. The long trail is a much different trail than the AT.

This last point deserves a little more explanation. Once the trail splits from the AT, the appearance of marked blazes decreases. The trail itself becomes less "used" to the point that I was paying very careful attention.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMugPhoto & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Lots of LT maintainers at work along the trail. I thanked each one as I passed by. One even thanked me for hiking!

Lots of ups and downs during the ~8 miles between Rolston Rest Shelter and David Logan Shelter. I was disappointed when I anticipated a view from the top of Mt Carmel only to find a wooded summit.
I crossed two snowmobile trails.

The divas are tenting tonight while Montreal, Mango, and Whitetail are sleeping in the shelter. I hadn't seen Whitetail since Seth Warner Shelter on my first night out.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Awesome fire tonight . Perhaps toasted marshmallows tomorrow...

ATTN Chief: Your email address is giving me an error message. Can you check to make sure the one you gave me is correct?

No comments:

Post a Comment