Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Day 3: Goddard Shelter to North Shore Tenting Area

Goddard Shelter to North Shore Tenting Area  - 19.4 miles

Repeat setup from 09 with some noticeable differences. No night hiking occurred since I was on trail by 6 AM. That's right I woke up at 5:30 am and was on trail by 6 AM. Met a hiker named DVD that walked up to Goddard Shelter around 5:45 am.

Views from the firetower atop Glastenbury Mtn were breathtaking as usual. I took it slow and steady to Kid Gore Shelter and arrived at 8:30 am.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

I hiked to Story Spring Shelter with twin sisters, Oak and Maple, who are thru hiking the AT. Both are chemistry graduates and we spent time discussing the possible labs involved in p chem.





The climb up Stratton was breezy and steady. I got water at the top and spent an hour talking with the caretakers. Wonderful people. They have been the caretakers at Stratton for over 30 years.



I mentioned my blister to them and they went in their house and found a makeshift cushion for me to use. They also gave me a safety pin. Sweet!

The three miles down to the tenting area was new since the last time I made my way via headlamp. I still tripped and got my left foot wet walking around the pond. Scared a beaver and a snake as I headed to the camping area.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Good family here tonight. They are from Delaware and are hiking to Killington by Saturday. They do a week long hike together each summer. Last year they hiked Roan Mtn! They have gathered enough wood for an impressive bonfire tonight.

Hiding in my tent to escape the mosquitoes...

No comments:

Post a Comment