Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Why I Hike and a Special Thank You

Hiking is spiritual, physical, and mental. Most often I find that people forget or underestimate how mentally challenging a hike can become.   A hike can easily be hampered when negative thoughts begin to occupy the mind. I always try to view situations from a positive standpoint and find that it helps even during difficult or painful situations, which was very evident during my Long Trail End to End.

A hike is also what you make it.

Hiking comes with a level of individualized freedom that I thrive on. I have to walk up and down mountains. I have to carry my pack filled with my gear. I have to cook my dinner, set up my tent, and wash my dishes. I have to get myself up in the morning, pack up, and head up the trail. I get to enjoy beautiful vistas, cool streams, and unforgettable experiences. Other times, I have to get out of my dry bag, put on my wet clothes, and hike out in the rain. Regardless of the situations, I must do these things. No one else can do these things for me nor can I blame anyone else for what I choose to do while I hike. All responsibilities fall on me: the freedom to hike.

I want to take a moment to thank everyone I met along this journey that allowed me the opportunity to have this freedom.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

I would like to share my journey with you not only through this journal but my photos as well.

Long Trail End-to-End Pictures and Videos

No comments:

Post a Comment