Friday, August 12, 2011

Day 13: Appalachian Gap to Montclair Shelter

Appalachian Gap to Montclair Shelter - 10.6 Miles

Burnt Rock Mountain humbled me today.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

I re-aggravated my shin (I might have been typing chin in earlier entries so I apologize for any confusion) running down the trail during that crazy hail/lightening storm a couple of days ago and going up/over/around slabs of rocks on Burnt Rock Mountain didn't help the road to recovery.
I naively thought that a ten mile day would be perfect for my shin...and it would have been if it weren't for Burnt Mountain. I even told Rocket that I wanted to get a t-shirt with the words "I <3 Burnt Mtn" so that I could burn it.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

The best comparison I have for Burnt Mountain is that the climb up reminded me of climbing Kinsman in the Whites and going down reminded me of Baldpate in Southern Maine. Brutally slow and dangerous. I had a couple of near miss falls today.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMugPhoto & Video Sharing by SmugMug

I was in so much pain climbing Mt Ira Allen and Mt Ethan Allen that I took a break, ate a granola bar, rubbed my shin, and took a naproxen. I also had the divas with me which calmed me down. They do always know exactly what to say and I am quite appreciative.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

The last mile was straight down into Wind Gap and I took my time. I also iced my shin in the stream at the Shelter and rubbed it some more. I really need to pamper that area from here on out with 100 miles to go.

Huge group of people here tonight at the shelter 1.8 miles from the summit of Camel's Hump. The caretaker said over 300 people will be on the Hump tomorrow with good weather expected. He also informed us that there is a juvenile moose that roams our tenting area at night. He gave us strict orders not to spook it...should be interesting.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Weather and views were amazing today. Felt like I was back in southern Maine. Chilly tenting at 3,000 ft tonight.

I really hate being humbled.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

No comments:

Post a Comment