Monday, August 15, 2011

Day 16: Taylor Lodge Shelter to Stowe, VT

Taylor Lodge Shelter to Stowe, VT - 8.5 miles

I'm sure lots of people have visited Mount Mansield BUT I bet very few have been up there on a windy, rainy day like today. I counted 4 people other than our crew out on trail today.
I came across one lady that was sitting right below the Chin and I asked her if she was okay. She replied that she was done but her husband was headed to the summit and that I could take his picture on top.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

I met a gentleman in cotton and a poncho slowly making his way up the trail. As I passed him he asked me to wait for him on top to take his picture. I did.

Very windy on the Chin!   After name and photo exchanges, I said goodbye and headed down the Chin. Crazy descent on slippery rocks. That's when I noticed that the tips to both my poles are bent making them practically useless on wet rocks. Interesting...

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug



Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

We stopped only at the two lodges: Butler and Taft to regroup due to weather. The lodges are completely enclosed and the caretaker at Taft made us hot chocolate which was a sweet surprise.
The 1.7 miles down to Smuggler's notch wasn't as bad as the profile lead me to believe. I took my time over the wet rocks. I did meet a family headed to Taft out in this weather. Dedication.
We got a hitch from a gentleman from Long Island on vacation with his family. I felt bad for soaking his car seat with my wet clothes.

I'm planning on taking the rest of the day to rest my shin. Poor thing. I could fill the fluid move as soon as I took the tape off. Just a few more days. Hang in there buddy!

Passed the 200 mile mark today.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

No comments:

Post a Comment