Sunday, August 14, 2011

Day 15: Duck Brook Shelter to Taylor Lodge Shelter

Duck Brook Shelter to Taylor Lodge Shelter - 13. 2 miles

Tired. I feel so tired. Drained.

Raindrops hitting my tent woke me before 6 am. Without a second thought I put everything in my contractor bag, broke down my tent, and headed to the nearby shelter to continue my slumber.
All the divas were up by seven breaking down their tents and we were on trail by 8:30 am to begin the climbing day.

Climb, we did. Duck Brook Shelter is at 670 ft and we climbed to Bolton Mtn at 3,725 ft in a little over six miles.

Humidity was high today coupled with no water on trail left me with a dehydration headache at the end of the day. We had to take the 0.3 mile side trail to Buchanan Shelter to get water at lunch.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Thunder started to sound overhead with 3.4 miles left in the day. My fight or flight survival mode kicked in and I took off down the trail begging the storm to hold off until we arrived at the shelter. I completely ignored my shin. I did have to slow down near the technical section in the Nebraska Notch when I encountered a ladder and large rocks. One of my pole tips became bent in the process.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMugPhoto & Video Sharing by SmugMug

We ALL arrived dry to the shelter only for the storm to disappear. Weird and slightly disappointing. I wanted hail, lightening, and thunder in all it's glory but it didn't happen.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Hopefully, it will remain dry for our climb over Mount Mansfield tomorrow. Just as a precaution, we're staying in the shelter tonight with the overly bold chipmunk and mice.

Fingers crossed for good weather tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment