Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Day 18: VT 15 to Spruce Ledge Camp

VT 15 to Spruce Ledge Camp - 18.0 miles

What does it mean to Hike Your Own Hike (HYOH)?

I started this trip on my own with the simple goal of getting to the Inn at the long trail by Saturday. It was painful physically but it was nice to start the day when I wanted to, break when I wanted to, and camp where I wanted to. I hiked along and found that enjoyed the solitude to a point but did enjoy company at camp at night.

After the Inn, I began hiking with a group, the Divas, and things were different. Planning involved everyone in the group, not just me anymore. Things went from simple to slightly complicated. Your hike no longer belongs to you but everyone in the group.

This brings me back to the original question and to the events of this morning...

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Rocket woke to a busted knee effectively ending her hike. We had planned a 18 mile day today in hopes of finishing the trail earlier than planned. What should we do? I need to get done as my body is shutting down and time is running out, but this isn't true for the group.

Difficult decision.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

I hiked out with Whitetail today around 10 am and got to the shelter by 7 pm. Terrain was gradual even up Laraway Mtn, there was a slight breeze in the air, and the skies were blue.



I'm tired and my left knee is sore but my shin is okay.
Maybe I'll see a moose in the morning.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

No comments:

Post a Comment