Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Day 10: David Logon Brook Shelter to Sucker Brook Shelter

David Logon Brook Shelter to Sucker Brook Shelter - 12.6 miles

Question of the day: what is slabbing? I remember using that term to describe BillyHoot and Nutmeg in Maine but the Long Trail Guide also uses this term, slab, as a verb. For instance, we slabbed the east ridge of Farr Peak today. I'm not sure of the context but the terrain for the first 7 miles today until Brandon Gap at VT 73 was smooth and really enjoyable.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMugPhoto & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Overcast for most of today especially tonight. Thunder was heard once and there has been some light rain once or twice lasting only a few minutes at most. The wind is starting to pick up.

After Brandon Gap the terrain went up up up! We stopped at Great Cliffs of Mt Horrid and took the spur trail. Excellent views of VT. Peregrine falcons nest here between March 15 and August 1. No birds today on the cliffs just a skull of an ungulate that Storm had to handle.



Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

I felt like I was back in southern Maine during the 5 mile section to Sucker Brook Shelter as I climbed Mt Horrid, Cape Lookoff Mtn, and Gillespie Peak. Plenty of vistas BUT the overcast sky kept me moving in an effort to reach the shelter before it rained. It never rained.

Whitetail, who goes to college with Lil Wayne (AT 09), packed out marsh mellows, chocolate, and graham crackers that Montreal (AT 07) bought. We gorged ourselves on smores after dinner. I'm pretty sure I ate four. AMAZING!

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Here with the divas are two weekend hikers and LT hikers: Whitetail, Mango, and Montreal. The weekend hikers made homemade pizzas cooked on a pan over the fire. Very creative. They even had a cinnamon apple dessert they baked in the fire.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Nice stream here that I soaked my feet in. I made another amazing fire with the help of Mango.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

In other news, I'm still laughing about a sign I saw yesterday. It was a sign for tucker johnson shelter, which was burned down earlier this year. Someone wrote "burnt" and "down" in sharpie between the name of the shelter so that it now reads, "tucker burnt johnson down". Still hilarious.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Nice to be on vacation in the woods of Vermont.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

No comments:

Post a Comment