Sunday, April 27, 2014

Day 3: Lake Morena to Long Canyon Creek Ford

After the sobering seminars yesterday, a cloud of doubt entered my mind as I awoke to the sound of a nearby alarm going off. It was 4 am. I refused to rise until 5:45 am. It got cold last night and I mean COLD! Never use your pack liner to completely cover your feet and sleeping bag. You will remove your down sleeping bag in the morning to discover that your bag is soaking wet. Luckily for me I'm on the West Coast and it quickly dried during lunch.

Sun city with panoramic views all day. My face and hands are currently being pampered with Mary Kay sun burn gel courtesy of Julie Wallace. I will never take shade or even the slightest breeze for granted moving forward.

The trail started around the campground at Lake Morena and then through a sandy area with sage lining the trail on both sides. The previous rain has made the sand wet so it didn't kick up too much dirt and these beautiful flowers were in bloom. I have no idea what they are yet, but there were yellows, purples, reds, and whites.  This was followed with a slight climb that snaked it's way down to a grassy area with large oak trees on either side. Absolutely beautiful.

While taking a break under one of these oaks,the herd began to pass by. I counted at least twelve within a few minutes. I counted over thirty different people on the trail and two dogs. This leap frogging continued after passing under interstate 8. At one point, I was in a group of six people gradually climbing up toward Kitchen Creek.

Y Knot, Balance, and I decided to travel the steep 100 ft down to the actual creek to soak our feet and get water rather than hike 0.8 off trail one way at Cibbets Campground.  All three of us are AT Alum so steep terrain is completely natural for us to follow. This was the first time I used the sawyer squeeze to filter water. I think it's gonna work. Thanks, seester! I also enjoyed a powered peanut butter and coconut oil wrap at lunch today. Instead of adding water, I used the coconut oil to moisten the peanut butter. It actually worked!

This afternoon the trail climbed to 5,405 ft in elevation. Views from both sides of the trail we're reminiscent of the Whites in New Hampshire. The recent rain has really brought out all the green in the scrubs as well as the trees. Views were available for miles.

I'm camped with 8 other people by the Long Canyon Creek. There are only 5 decent tent spots so we're making the best of it. My tent is setup adjacent to a log and another hiker (named Banjo) who has a Big Agnes tent. It's like old times.

I discovered that Y Knot and Balance have done multiple bike tours. Last year, Y Knot completed the Southern Tier. We actually crossed a road that he biked last year after leaving San Diego. What a small world! Y Knot hopes to complete the TransAmerica tour in the near future. I guess touring and backpacking can go hand and hand.

Trail magic was served at mile six today by an adorable couple. The gentlemen's name was Kermit and his van was green and covered with that lovable little frog. He was offering homemade cookies.

My progress on understanding yogi's notes in combination with halfmile's maps is improving. I may just get the hang of this thing after all. I also downloaded the apps yesterday. It's crazy what technology can do these days. For instance, Y Knot, Snake Farm. and Balance were trying to determine exactly how far we were from the Ford. I had commented that I thought we were close. Snake Farm turns on the app and announces that we are exactly 0.1 from the Ford. How crazy is that?!?!

Still surprised at how fast the temperature drops when the sun sets. It suppose to be another cool night here by the stream. I thought it was hot in the desert and that it rarely rained. That hasn't been the experience so far. My hands are getting numb from exposure so I going to sign off. It's 8:20 pm.

Mount Laguna tomorrow for a mail drop and perhaps a shower.

1 comment:

  1. What a great blog! You are going to have SUCH an amazing adventure this summer.

    ReplyDelete