Friday, April 25, 2014

Day 1: Mexican Border to Lake Morena Campground

April 25, 2014
19.5 miles
Mexican Border to Lake Morena Campground

My heart was heavier than my pack as I left the white wooden monument this crisp, cool morning.  Heavier than my pack, which contains 7 liters of water, 2 days of food, and gear. Much heavier. A young man's heart stopped beating 16 miles north of this white wooden monument yesterday afternoon. He was 19 years much too young. Life is precious. Appreciate each and every moment.

Living life is what brought me to the West Coast and to this dusty, dry trail. It has surrounded me with loving and altruistic people who also share a common goal: to reach the Canadian Border one step at a time. I had the pleasure of sharing the experience today with two Bostonians, who happen to be Appalachian Alumni (2011). Y knot and Balance shared the shade and stories as we transversed close to 20 miles to reach Lake Morena in time for burritos at the Kickoff.

Water has never tasted so good. Salt covered my face and hands. And there was dirt. Lots of dirt. My throat began to get scratchy and I thought I might be sick compliments from a recent family visit. I soon realized that dirt was collecting at the back of my throat as it was being kicked up in the air.

Lake Morena doesn't really resemble a lake by normal standards. It is more like a dry lake bed. Houser Creek was dry too, but there was a water cache located in the dry creek bed. "Bottled straight from the source," said Roam.  I didn't need any water.  In fact,  I arrived to Lake Morena carrying 2.5 liters of water. Water is so precious to life. So are electrolytes. A Pacific Crest Trail Alumni (2013) by the name of Hops shared an electrolyte product named Nuun. By shared, I mean he went to the grocery store and bought me some to try in addition to jelly beans that also contain electrolytes. This selfless generosity is what pulls me to the trail and the thru hiking community.

It's sprinkling now in the desert. It's suppose to drop down into the thirties during the night. This will be an excellent test for my new tent and sleeping quilt. Currently, I have my feet elevated and am listening to personal conversations of nearby neighbors who have forgotten that sil nylon does not act as a sound barrier. No blisters. I did change my socks once today and powered them with gold bond twice. I even shared these handy tricks with Y Knot and Melanie. This is Melanie's very first long distance hike and she had some tender toes when she arrived at Lake Morena today.  I may go by Grommet, but I will still doctor feet at a moment's notice.

I plan to remain at the Kickoff tomorrow rather than hike forward. I will take this "zero" day to rest. Rest. It will be my first opportunity in over a month and I'm looking forward to it.

I am also looking forward to meeting with Betty tomorrow to further discuss the local flora. There are trees that grow out here with normal looking bark surrounded with a smooth reddish brown coat that closely resembles wax. There are also pea plants, indian paintbrush, and yucca. All of which are currently in bloom. I also observed tall sycamore trees as well as live oaks.

Tomorrow. Tonight, I will fall asleep to the interment sound of rain drops hitting any and every surface while the gentle wind caresses my single walled tent.


No comments:

Post a Comment