Saturday, April 26, 2014

Day 2: Kick Off at Lake Morena

April 26, 2014
0 miles
Lake Morena Campground Tented

Those gentle breezes brought the smack down around 1 am last night. My registered tent site is really a rock covered by two inches of sand. Getting the 8 stakes securely in the ground was practically impossible. Once the sand became saturated by the relentless rain, it was only a matter of time before a strong gust took the tent down. This happened not once but three times. Each time I reluctantly removed myself from my bag liner and quilt to restake the tent barefoot in the cold, windy rain.   Surprisingly enough, my gear remain dry throughout the ordeal. Sleep never arrived.

Since Thursday, folks from across the country have gathered to celebrate this year's hikers who wish to attempt to hike the Pacific Crest Trail. These volunteers provide food, educational seminars, and entertainment. I cannot thank them enough for their encouragement and selflessness.  I enjoyed the Flora and Fauna of the PCT seminar this morning. These plants are both beautiful and dangerous. Stinging nettle, poodle bush, and multiple forms of poison oak exist along the trail from here in the Chaparral to the Alpine wooded environments in Washington. The animals will be equally respected. Snakes, snakes, and more snakes! I did watch two crows fighting a hawk for it's snake diner this evening from my new tent site.

I also attended the water report. Woah! Hiking the Appalachian Trail during the wettest season on record spoiled me. I never had to think about water. Now, I do as it's a matter of life or death. This will definitely take some time to adjust. Very grateful for halfmile's maps and water reports! I actually met him in person today as well as several other Trail personalities. I shook hands with Coyote (Wizards of the PCT) while waiting to use the restroom. I also allowed Billy Goat the luxury of touching my cuben fiber skirt while we huddled in the pavilion to escape the cold rain.

The most exciting encounter was with three other 09 Appalachian Trail Alum: Col. Mustard, Bunyan, and OG. There's just a connection there, expressed in our eyes and embraced in a hug that cannot be verbalized. We're family forever and now we have traveled to the West Coast to experience a new adventure. So glad to see each one of them.

I was spoiled once again by Betty. She took OG, Lucky, Ross, and myself to a nearby grill for burgers. She even paid for my lunch. Incredible generosity! (THANK YOU!). I used the store's wifi to download the PCT Apps: Guthook, PCTHYOH, and Halfmile's maps. I am very interested to see how these work on trail. So much has changed with technology on trail since 2009.

I'm currently listening to the final movie presentation here at the Kickoff from the confines of my tent as I type this entry. "As it happens" is being shown on the Tyvek big screen on a very cold evening. The temperature has dropped compared to yesterday although the winds have decreased and the rains are gone. I have sought solace in my bag liner and quilt and there I will remain until tomorrow morning.

My tent was moved to another section of the campground where my tent stakes are more effective. I'm surrounded my Appalachian Trail Alum from 2011: Goldie, Balance, and Y Knot. Goldie completed the AT at the age of 16 with her brother who was 13 at the time. She asked her professors at Texas A & M if she could take her exams two weeks early so she could start this hike. (sounds familiar right?!)

Feet are good. Spirit is lifted from a wonderfully supported conversation with family. Sore rib. Happy heart.

I'm here where I need to be, taking it one step at a time.

Let's do this!

No comments:

Post a Comment