Saturday, May 3, 2014

They Say Patience is a Virtue...

Scenes that could easily be mistaken as backdrops to any John Wayne adventure encompass my view.  Shorten, dry vegetation dotting the almost barren landscape. I'm starting to recognize them: sage, prickly pear cacti, barrel cacti, and yuccas with their unique adaptations to tolerate such a hostile environment.  The landscape changes without the effort of a single step. I constantly sip on my stale coffee to lessen the irritation on my throat as I look past the chaparral. My sun kissed hands are beginning to peel.

It's been exactly 7 days since I began to feel ever not so well. The last 5 days have been spent at Betty's house a la rest. Her and her partner's southern [California] hospitality far exceeds my people of the South. If curability came in the form of selflessness and encouragement from others,  I would be out hiking twenties rather than my current situation. I cannot thank them enough. I do look forward to seeing them again in September.

People are concerned that death will be met at the hands of another human, stray dog, exotic viper, or storm systems. I, myself, fear death by asteroid, shark, or plane. Ironically enough, the most dangerous encounter for most living organisms isn't really "alive" at all and may be as large as 30 nanometers in diameter consisting of merely protein and nuclei acid. I'm describing a virus, specifically a rhinovirus. This group of viruses is responsible for the common cold and is responsible for my current situation. Remarkable really.

It could be another 7 days before my immune system has completely eradicated  this invading army. Even still, it could be another couple of weeks before I'm well enough to tackle 20 miles days on trail. That's looking three weeks into the future with much uncertainty. I am certain that the first stretch back would be no ball park. It includes a 32 mile waterless stretch. Not the typical ease back into trail life for a recovering viral victim.

How to make the "right" or "mature" decision? It's hard especially when there are no blazes or footprints in sight. I will still have my finances saved, gear ready, and a job for the next 11 months by postponing this hike until next year. This would allow my body time to adequately heal without any added pressure. It's a guaranteed "safe" decision.

Most importantly, if I'm patient, Rachel (aka Katchup) will be able to hike next year. Originally we had planned to do the CDT together next year, but I think this will be just perfect. I can't imagine another human I'd be more excited to share these beautiful views and experiences.

So for now, I'm going the safe route and postponing this hike until next April. I ask, that you too, exercise some patience. It'll happen and when it does, it will be glorious and I'd love for you to follow along in this experience.

Until next April, remind yourself that you are stronger than you think in every aspect of your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment